Click Here For Free Blog Backgrounds!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Thursday, August 2, 2012

First Day!!!

Happy First Day of School!!  I can tell already that I am so blessed to have such a wonderful new class!  Today flew by, and we were all beat, so I am sure there will be some sleepy kids tonight. 

I hope your child told you all about their first day!  The kids started out the day by filling out a sheet to help me get to know them.  On the sheet they could ask me any question they wanted to about myself.  That was fun!  More than a few wanted to know my age and why I like owls so much....haha!  We got to meet Mrs. Fowler, our new music teacher, today.  After music this morning we learned a lot about classroom procedures and we organized all of our supplies.  I read a book to the class about a crazy teacher named Mrs. McBloom who had a very messy classroom, and we all decided it was important to keep our room nice and neat.  Mrs. McBloom had chickens hatching eggs in her cubbies, an apple tree growing through the ceiling, and many more unusual crazy things.  I also started a read aloud with the kids that is very appropriate to current events.....the Magic Treehouse book, Hour of the Olympics.  We learned that girls were not allowed at the first Olympics....boooo!  One of our sweet second grade boys said that maybe it was okay now for girls to be there because it is safer.  Ha!  Another boy asked if the women just cooked and watched t.v. all day.....I reminded him that television wasn't invented back then!  We are super excited to be kicking off an Olympics inspired Reading unit.  In the coming weeks we will be learning different reading strategies and applying them to reading passages about the Olympics!  Then......we took a test.  It was the Everyday Math beginning of the year assessment.  It was very difficult for the kids, but I reassured them that a pretest is not for a grade and only a tool to show me what they need to learn.  After taking the math test, it was time for a brain break.  We did a fun "getting to know you" type activity where kids got to use their clipboards (always a supply they are eager to use) and ask each other questions.  The page they filled out came home tonight.  I shared my "Me Bag" and assigned Me Bags for tonight's homework.  Then we learned how to fill out assignment notebooks.  What a busy day!! 

Here are a few pictures for you. 
"Getting to Know You" activity

Ethan, Madison, and Alana interview each other!